Sunday, May 29, 2011

Gluten-Free/Paleo Diet Friendly Apple Cinnamon Cookies (doubles as gluten-free granola!)


1/3 of the cookie batch
Gluten-Free Granola!




I’ve flirted with the idea of becoming a Paleo Eater.  However, I like baking too much to ever become completely loyal to the diet/lifestyle/movement or whatever you want to call it.  Even though I haven’t completely converted, my Paleo recipe research has led me to a lot of creative gluten-free baking ideas.  Celiacs disease and gluten allergies are becoming more common so I thought it would be nice to include a little gluten-free baking for readers who would like to try something new.  Because this is also a Paleo recipe, there is no added sugar either so these cookies are pretty guilt free.

Prep Time: 20 Mins                 Bake Time: 25-30 minutes                       Oven Temp: 350 F

Ingredients
  2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths (I used Pink Lady apples because they are very sweet)
  2 cups blanched, slivered almonds
  2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
  2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  1 tablespoon of cinnamon
  1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
  A pinch of Kosher salt
  3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1. Using a food processor with the shredder disk in place, add one apple wedge at a time. Once all the apples are shredded, remove apple from the processor. Measure out two cups and place in large bowl.
2. Replace shredder disk with the regular chopping blade.  Add almonds, cinnamon, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to processor. Pulse until coarsely ground.
3. Combine almond mixture with shredded apples, shredded coconut and salt. Stir to incorporate.
4.  Add eggs. Stir until combined.
5. Use a cookie scooper (or ice scream scooper) to place dough balls on baking sheet prepared with parchment paper.
6. Using the bottom of a glass greased with coconut oil, smash cookies so that cookies flatten out.  To save time you could flatten the cookies with your hand instead.
7.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cookies brown on the edges.

Granola option
When I made these cookies I ran out of parchment paper to put on the third baking sheet so I used aluminum foil instead BUT I forgot to spray the foil with Pam so my cookies stuck to the sheet. They also came out a little more crisp than the other cookies.  I peeled the cookies off the best I could but they crumbled into a million pieces.  I put the pieces into a Tupperware and used it as granola in my yogurt the next morning. When life gives you lemons make lemonade! If you want to use half the recipe to intentionally make granola, I suggest sprinkling small chunks onto a baking sheet and baking the chunks on the top rack so that they crisp up nicely. If the chunks turn out too big you can chop the chunks once baked and cooled.

Feel free to add a tablespoon or two of honey if the recipe is not sweet enough for your preference.

1 comment: