Friday, September 23, 2011

Spinach Egg Bake


I add chopped tomatoes sometimes after I take it out of the oven.



 This is one of my new favorite breakfasts.  It actually doesn’t take very long to make.  I preheat the oven as soon as I wake up and then wash my face brush my teeth, go back to the kitchen to prep the meal and then I cook it while getting dressed and doing my makeup. See! Not so hard to make on a weekday!

Ingredients (Single Serving)
 One small handful of spinach (chopped)
1 tablespoon onion  (chopped)- I keep a chopped onion in my fridge so that I can just grab a pre-chopped pinch as needed
2 eggs
1 Babybell cheese (chopped)
Coconut oil or butter to grease the dish

Also needed- small baking dish or mini crock pot.  Mine is about 5 inches in diameter and holds a little under 1 ¾ cup of water.

Prep Time: 5 mins            Bake time: 12-13 minutes             Oven Temp: 375 F

1   1.Grease the crock pot with coconut oil or butter. Add chopped  spinach.  Next add chopped onion. 
2.   2. Crack eggs over spinach.
3.    3.Bake in oven on middle rack for 8 minutes.
4.   4. Pull the rack out so you have access to crock pot.  Sprinkle cheese on top and put top on the crock pot or baking dish.  Push rack back into oven and cook for 3 more minutes.  My eggs are still a little runny when I cook them this way but if you want them to be cooked through allow to cook for 2 or 3 more minutes


Variations
Double serving:  I made a serving for two when I made breakfast for dinner the other night for Dano and I.  Egg bake and pancakes- Breakfast for dinner is the best! Here’s how I changed the recipe a little
A larger handful of spinach (chopped)
3 eggs
3 slices of bacon (chopped and cooked 75% through)
2 tablespoons of chopped onion
1 Babybel cheese (chopped)
Coconut oil or butter

Follow the same steps as above but sprinkle the bacon over the spinach BEFORE cracking the eggs. Cook the same way as above and enjoy!

Before I put it in the oven: you can see in the pic that the bacon isn't cooked all the way through.  While baking in the oven, the bacon will finish cooking to a crispy texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment