Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mini Frittatas

Quick and delicious breakfast

It’s a lot easier to eat healthy when good for you options are sitting in your fridge.  To make this a reality in my own kitchen, I (try to) spend time every Sunday deciding what I’ll cook for the week, gathering ingredients, and cooking some stuff ahead of time for quick meals throughout the week.  I went to the farmer’s market on Saturday morning so I’m hoping that my delicious purchases will motivate me to cook a bunch.  Here’s my first prep meal for the week, mini-frittatas. These frittatas are cooked in muffin tins which make them the perfect size for a quick breakfast.  No need to follow this exact recipe, I chose my ingredients based on what I had on hand in my fridge.

Ingredients
1 small green bell pepper (diced)
1 cup turkey sausage crumbles
½ red onion (diced)
¾ cup mushroom (chopped)
Handful of spinach (chopped)
4 eggs + 5 egg whites
splash of milk
coconut oil
Cojita cheese (or any kind you prefer with eggs)

1. Saute bell pepper, onion and mushroom in one teaspoon of coconut oil.
2. Meanwhile, cook sausage in a separate pan.
3. When all the ingredients are cooked, set them aside in a bowl to cool. Add chopped spinach.
4. in a medium size bowl combine eggs, egg whites and a splash of milk. Whisk to break up yolks.
5.  Brush muffin tins with coconut oil.  Add egg mixture to tins so that each cup is a little over half full.
6. Spoon in veggie-meat mixture so that each tin is ¾ full.
7.  Cook frittatas for 18 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. 5 minutes before the frittatas are done, remove from oven and sprinkle diced chunks of cheese over each frittata.  Return to oven to finish cooking.


The recipe yields 6 mini frittatas baked in muffin tins.  If you used cupcake tins your recipe will yield more frittatas and they will be smaller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment