Friday, April 22, 2011

Apple Oven Cake




I discovered this lovely recipe while waiting in the oral surgeon’s office to get a tooth pulled.  It was featured in Sunset magazine over a year ago and I use it all the time. It’s a lovely dessert and I always have all the ingredients I need in my kitchen.  You can also serve it as a sweet breakfast treat.

Prep Time: 10 minutes                   Bake Time: 15 minutes                  Oven Temp: 425 F

Ingredients
3 Tablespoons butter
¼ cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 sweet apple, peeled and sliced (I use pink lady or granny smith)
3 Large eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup soy or almond milk
1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Melt butter in 12 in. frying pan over medium high heat. (frying pan must be oven safe, no plastic handles!)
3. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to combine.  Add apple and cook till softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a blender combine eggs, salt, flour and milk.
5. Pour egg mixture into pan and bake until puffed and brown, about 15 minutes
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

I swear this is the easiest cake I’ve ever made and if you want a quick homemade dessert, try the oven cake!  Serve it with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. looks good! sort of like a dutch baby (which can be made for breakfast here any time you like).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and you can make for your mom when she visits next week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete