Sunday, April 3, 2011

Frittatas!!

Frittatas!!!

A frittata is an egg based dish which is similar to a quiche or Spanish tortilla.  Frittatas are one of my favorite things to make when I have a lot of veggie leftovers from last night’s dinner.   I always have the ingredients to make a frittata which makes it a great dish to make when you haven’t gone grocery shopping in a while.

The first frittata shown was made using entirely left overs.

 
 

Prep  Time: 10-15 minutes     Bake Time: 25-30 minutes (depends on the depth of your baking dish/size of the frittata)

I used a 8x8x2 baking dish for this frittata which is why I needed so many eggs.  They cook just as well in an oven safe pan.

1. Break 10 egg whites and 2 whole eggs into a bowl.  Add 2 tablespoons of water and whisk for 1-2 minutes.
2.  Add a few handfuls of veggies and meat into the egg mixture.  The amount of vegetables and meat depends on the size of the dish and your own personal preference. I probably used about a 3/4 a cup of the cooked vegetables and a 1/4 a cup of the raw vegetables. The first frittata pictured has leftover cooked zucchini, yellow squash, and ham. I also included raw mushrooms and red onion.  
3. Chop or with your hands break up cheese to put on the top of your frittata.  I had a left over Babybel cheese and some Parmesan so I sprinkled that on top. 
4. Pop it in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your baking dish.  You can tell when it’s done by moving the pan in the oven to see if the center is solid. If the center wobbles, it is probably liquid underneath and needs a few more minutes.
5. Remove from oven and serve!


Other variations…
If you are not concerned about calories you can use all whole eggs instead of mostly egg whites.
If you REALLY aren’t concerned with calories, I suggest using bacon in your frittata and frying the potatoes in half of the left over bacon grease.
If you want your frittata to turn out more like a Spanish tortilla, cover the bottom of the pan/baking dish with chopped cooked potato or sweet potato before adding the egg mixture.  I usually do this if I have left over sweet potato wedges from last night’s dinner.




The second frittata pictured uses the same amount of eggs but different veggies and meat.  This one has broccoli, corn, mushroom, onion and turkey bacon.  I cooked the turkey bacon in the oven beforehand and rubbed the raw bacon with a mixture of paprika, cracked black pepper, a dash of cayenne pepper, and brown sugar.  You only need enough to sprinkle over both sides of the bacon. I enjoyed the first frittata more than the second because I think squash works really well in an egg dish.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment