Thursday, April 7, 2011

Healthy Lentil Salad


Lentils are a cheap and healthy meal.  I bought lentils at my local produce stand for 99 cents a pound.  I made the following recipe as a side dish for four people and had plenty left over for lunch the next day. Hope you enjoy. 


Lentil Salad Ingredients
1 ¼ cup uncooked lentils (I used green lentils)
¼ cup chopped white onion
1 green bell pepper (chopped)- any kind of bell pepper works. I use green because they are usually the cheapest
6-8 Shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
½ - ¾ cup crumbled turkey sausage
2 green onions (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of garlic salt
Prep time: 5 mins     Cook Time: 25 mins

1.Cook lentils according to package instructions.  I cooked 1 ¼ cups raw lentils with 2 cups water for 20-25 mins.
2. Half way through cooking, add a crushed garlic clove. When lentils fully cooked, remove garlic clove and drain off any excess liquid. 
3. Meanwhile, in a separate pan cook turkey sausage in olive oil.  After 5 minutes, add onions, pepper, mushrooms, and crushed garlic clove.  Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.  Remove garlic clove when meat and veggies are fully cooked.
4.  In a bowl, combine lentils with turkey sausage and veggies.  Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Add salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste.  Serve.

Variations….
I think some diced jalapenos would be delicious in this recipe.  I didn’t put any in my salad because my roommate won’t eat spicy food but you should try it if you enjoy hot peppers.


1 comment:

  1. you can make this for me but substitute shrimp for the sausage and feel free to throw in the jalapeno!

    ReplyDelete