Sunday, April 3, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

I found this recipe in Bon Appetit magazine and I've changed it a little bit.  I've made these bars at least five times since I found the recipe two months ago.  PB & J bars are a wonderful comfort food and they always remind me of bag lunches I enjoyed in elementary school.

Prep Time: 20 Minutes  Total Time (including cooling): 1.5- 2 Hours  Oven Temp: 350 F

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (wheat flour works too!)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp. (I've softened it in the microwave before and it turned out fine)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup grape jelly (any flavor works, I suggest using whatever you like best)


Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line 8x8x2 in baking dish with aluminum foil, leaving over some foil to hang over on two sides.  This will help you remove them from the pan after baking and cooling the bars.  Spray foil with non-stick spray. 

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat peanut butter, sugar and butter.  I add them all at the same time and they combine just fine.
3. Next, add the large egg and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until combined and smooth.
4. Slowly add flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture, using mixer to combine till smooth.
5. Place half the dough into the prepared baking pan.  Use your fingers to press dough evenly into the bottom of the pan.  If half the dough doesn't seem like enough to cover the the bottom, add a little more dough.
6.  Take the remainder of the dough and place it in the freezer for 10 mins.
7. Spread jelly over into the pan over the peanut butter dough layer.  Leave a small border around the edge of the pan so that the jelly won't bake onto the aluminum foil.  This can make removing the bars more difficult.
8. Remove dough from freezer.  Break dough into grape size pieces and scatter over jelly layer.
9.  Bake bars until the top is golden brown,  about 25-30 minutes.
10.  After baking, cool bars on a rack.  Once completely cooled, use aluminum foil overhang to gently lift them out of the pan. Cut into 12 or 16 pieces, depending on how big you want each bar to be.





I have never had trouble with this recipe and they make for a wonderful gift.  Hope you enjoy!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I have a bake sale this week so I will try your
    recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made your recipe but I used almond butter and the jam was raspberry and pomegranate. They turn
    out beautiful, tasted great and perfect for a bake sale.
    xo

    ReplyDelete