Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Almond Rosemary Biscuits (Thanksgiving Baking!)




I made these gluten-free goodies for Thanksgiving.  I had to make them two days ahead of time because I have a lot of work on Wednesday.  They turned out great but I had to alter the original recipe a bit because it did not yield enough biscuits and I ran out of Almond flour.  I decided to substitute in a little Amaranth flour because I had a bag in my pantry that my mom sent me a few weeks ago. It is gluten free and isn't nearly as grainy as other gluten free flours. 

Ingredients
- 4 1/2 cups of almond flour
- 1/2 amaranth flour (plus more for sprinkling on parchment paper while rolling out biscuits)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 cup olive oil or grape seed oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine almond flour, amaranth flour, salt, baking soda and rosemary in a bowl. Stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil and honey.  Whisk to combine.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.  Mix together with your hands until combined completely.
5. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.  Lay a separate piece of parchment paper on your counter.  Sprinkle with flour.  Place dough on parchment paper.  Lay another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and use a rolling pin to flatten dough to desired thickness.  For thick biscuits, roll out to 3/4 in thick.  I made mine fairly thin- partly because I need a lot and because I was in a bit of a hurry. Use a biscuit cutter to cut your biscuits or a heart shaped one like i did.
6.  Bake for 12 minutes if you rolled them thin, 15 minutes if you rolled them thick.

Hope you enjoyed these as much as I did!

1 comment:

  1. What I great idea. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Miss you both.
    xoxo
    mom

    ReplyDelete