Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kabocha Ginger Puree

I adapted this from a Bon Appetit recipe.  My version is simpler than BA's and also has less calories because I don't use the heavy cream.  If this recipe isn't creamy enough for you, feel free to add a little full fat yogurt or full fat sour cream.

Kabocha is the Yellow Puree on the Plate.


Ingredients
1 Kabocha Squash
1 teaspoon ginger powder
2 tablespoons butter
1-2 tablespoon good honey

1. Cut the kabocha squash into wedges and toss with a little coconut oil or olive oil.
2. Bake in the oven at 350 F for 20 minutes or until soft.
3. Peel the skin off each squash.  Toss the skins and place the cooked squash in a bowl. 
4. In small batches, puree the squash in a food processor.  In each batch, add a little ginger, butter and honey. Repeat the process until all the squash has been pureed.  Taste the puree and if necessary add more honey to make it sweeter or yogurt/cream/sour cream to make it smoother.


Note: One squash makes a lot of puree.  I like to make this on Monday or Tuesday and use it as a side dish for the next two days' dinner. The picture above was taken a day after I made the puree.  I had also roasted a whole chicken in the slow cooker the same day I made the puree so the meal above only took me 15 minutes.  I quickly cut up some broccoli and sauteed it with some garlic butter (homemade of course). That took at most 7 minutes.  While the broccoli was cooking, I sliced some some spinach and avocado. Then I assembled my plates.  I put squash and chicken on each plate- quickly nuked each in the microwave, then added the broccoli and simple salad.  There you have it- 15 minutes and 3 vegetable dishes and one protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment