Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chicken Soup!



I’ve never made chicken soup from scratch but after making a whole roasted chicken I figured I might as well use the bones and carcass to make my own stock.  I plan on always using the bones for this purpose from here on out because I feel like simply discarding them is wasteful when they can render such a delicious liquid.  Google searching chicken stock will bring up numerous quick tutorials on how to make your own stock.  It is very simple and pretty much just requires you to cook the bones and leftover skin with some water and a few vegetables over low heat.  You can also use store bought stock if you don't want to slow cook stock overnight.

Ingredients
1 can of white beans
1 can hominy
3 gluten free garlic/artichoke chicken sausages (chopped and cooked)
1 ¼ cup shredded cooked chicken (I had this leftover from when I cooked my whole chicken)
4 carrots peeled and chopped
3 celery sticks chopped
10- 12 cups chicken stock or more if needed

1. Add broth and all veggies to the pot.  Cook over medium low heat covered for 15 minutes.
2. Add chicken and cook 5 more minutes.  Add sausage and cook 5 more mins.
3. Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment