Saturday, January 21, 2012

Egg Bakes Revisted!

The Egg Bake I made for Dano (w/o Tomato Sauce)

Egg bake with tomato sauce served with avocado slices and grilled sausage

I've been experimenting with egg bakes after reading an article in Bon Appetit about how egg dishes can be elevated to a lunch or dinner option with a little creativity.  I've made a few different versions but I always start the same basic way. The recipe below is for a single serving egg bake since they are each made their own individual dish. 

Ingredients
- one small handful of spinach (chopped)
- 2 eggs, one beaten with a spoonful of Greek yogurt.
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
-cheese of your choice
- other toppings of your choice (chopped)

1. Prepare your baking dish with coconut oil or butter.
2. Place chopped spinach at the bottom of the dish. Top with one egg beaten with yogurt.
3. Top with chopped cheese, onion, and other toppings of your choice. In the picture above I used chopped queso anejo, cheddar,green onion, and poblano pepper.
4. Crack an egg over all the toppings. It may help to make a dent in the center of the toppings so that the egg rests in the middle. Top with a sprinkle of cracked pepper and sea salt.
5. Bake at 375 F for 14 minutes with the top of the dish off. 
6. After 14 minutes the egg white should be mostly cooked but the yolk will still be runny. Add some tomato sauce around the yolk. Place the lid over the dish and finish baking for 3-5 minutes, depending on how cooked through you want the yolk to be. I make this dish without the tomato sauce for Dano.

Variations: I have also made this with chopped sun dried tomatoes, feta and sausage. Add whatever toppings you like in an omelet and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I remember this recipe on Friday and made it for myself. It was wonderful, quick, and
    simple. I am making this for Steven on Monday. Much easier than stand at the stove.
    xo

    ReplyDelete